Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So Long, Insecurity


I've started reading Beth Moore's latest book titled, So Long, Insecurity. I must admit, I turned the book upside down when carrying it to the check out counter....oh how pervasive insecurity can be! I was insecure while purchasing a book on insecurity. Oh I have a lot of growing to do....
Beth's book offers one definition of insecurity:
"Insecurity refers to a profound sense of self-doubt -
a deep feeling of uncertainty about our basic worth
and our place in the world. Insecurity is associated
with chronic self-consciousness, along with a chronic
lack of confidence in ourselves and anxiety about our
relationships. The insecure man or woman lives in
constant fear of rejection and a deep uncertainty
about whether his or her own feelings and desires
are legitimate."
After reading this definition, I was actually patting myself on the back as I examined myself and thought that most of those tenets really didn't describe me.

Then I kept reading:

"Some of us never seek healing from God for our insecurities
because we feel like we don't fit the profile. We think insecurity
only looks one way, mousy, maybe even inept -and that's not
exactly who we see in the mirror. At least not once the mascaras
on. And it certainly is not the woman we present to the public.
Insecurity's best cover is perfectionism. That's where it becomes an art form."

Oh dear. Yep, this hit me square in the eyes. I am constantly on a path of being humbled at the work God has to do in my life. I am so thankful for this book and for the online community through Beth's blog that is working through this issue together. Lord, help me to believe your Word. Help me to break free from the chains of insecurity. This is a journey I am ready to take.

Think this book might hit home with you too? Check out Beth Moore's blog with details about the online discussion group.
http://livingproofministries.blogspot.com/2010/02/so-long-insecurity-discussion-group.html

No comments:

Post a Comment