Saturday, January 7, 2012

No TV




Well, not really. We did call today and cancel our DirecTv service. After almost 2 years of no TV during the week (kind of), we decided to get rid of it entirely.

Here are the reasons:

1. Most programming for children is inappropriate, focused on dating relationships, and places a high value on a "mean girl" attitude.

2. Most commercials are inappropriate: lack of clothing, women portrayed seductively, highlighting a product we don't want our girls to even know about.

3. It is a waste of time and keeps us from spending real time with each other. Its so easy to opt out and watch a show instead of engaging with each other or give in and let the girls watch a show so that I can get things done. I've done it, I'll admit it, and I'm done with it.

4. But most importantly, Nate and I have decided that we want to be more intentional about following
Proverbs 4:23: Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. There is no way to guard the girls' hearts and allow TV to be regular part of our home. We want to be the ones who pour into their hearts and help them learn right from wrong. The values of most programs for children do not line up with what we want the girls to dress like, act like, speak like, and treat others like. One article I've read asked if you would be willing for the people on the programs to babysit your own children. Absolutely not! So why am I letting them in our home and into the impressionable hearts and minds of our sweet girls?

We do realize that TV can be used in a way that is redeeming and draws us closer to each other and God by carefully choosing what we watch. We still plan on family movie nights!! I love documentaries and know that we will still watch those types of things!

For some, this article will make a lot of sense and make you think and for others it may make you think we are totally weird and have lost it! Both ways are okay!

We've just realized that TV isn't for us anymore. Now.....releasing me from my addiction to my cell phone and computer....that is another story! I have no doubt the Lord is continuing to work on me!




No comments:

Post a Comment