Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mom's Ransom Rubbage

Problem: little messes that pop up all over the house....

Exhibit #1 - Barbie swimming pool in bathroom sink
                    Hairbrush and hair bands left out
Exhibit #2 - toothbrushes left out
  Exhibit #3 - Jacket left laying on the floor by
  messy stuffed animal pile


Solution:  


I found this idea several weeks ago on Pinterest. I loved the idea and plan on implementing today after our family meeting. Here is the way it works:

1. Toys, clothes, shoes,  book bags, school work, toothbrushes etc. are left out of place. 
2. Mom gives a warning about not putting those items in their proper place.
3. Item is left out again.
4. Item is confiscated by Mom and put into the Ransom Rubbage box.
5. Child says, "Mom have you seen my (insert toy, clothing item, shoes, book bag, school work, toothbrush, etc. here)?"
6. Mom says, "I believe that item is in the Ransom Rubbage Box."
7. Child must pull a ticket from the box and complete the said task on the ticket in order to retrieve their item from the box.
8. Child will learn to put away their belongings in a proper place! :) (hopefully!)

Here is a modified list of tasks we are using taken from the Pinterest link that originally gave me this idea:

Clean out van trash
Vacuum out mom’s van
Organize shoe closet
Pull weeds in back yard for 10 minutes
Pull weeds in front yard for 10 minutes
Rub dad’s feet for 10 minutes and sing, ‘this little piggy’ to him.
Sweep off the front porch
Wipe down guest bathroom toilet
Windex the front door while singing any song.
Wipe down outside of fridge and have a fruit or yogurt treat afterwards.
You are free but this is a WARNING!
Sweep off garage door rug
Scrub upstairs bathtub
Give mom or dad a hug and say, “I will never leave my stuff out again.”
Empty all garbage cans into kitchen garbage
Write a letter to someone who has done something nice for you and tell them thank you.
Match up 10 pairs of socks
  Rub dad’s head for 10 minutes while telling him how thankful you are for him working so hard.
Sweep front sidewalk and ride your bike down the street and back.
Go play with Sadie for 10 minutes
Clean out one drawer of your choice
Dust living room
You are free but this is a WARNING!
You are free but this is a WARNING!
Tell your sister 3 things you love about her.
 Write 10 times “I will not leave my things out.”
Do 25 jumping jacks while singing, “I am a cleaning machine.”
Run around the house for 3 minutes and see how many things you can pick up and put away.
Clean out your book bag.
Draw a picture of you picking up things and your mom and dad smiling BIG!
Make up a song about a clean house and perform it in front of your family.
Make your bed and clean under it.
Wipe down your bathroom sinks.
While hopping on one foot, wipe the kitchen counters off.
Choose 2 items of yours to donate to Goodwill.
Vacuum the den.
Pick up trash in back yard and beg your mother for forgiveness.
Sweep off back porch
Design a machine on paper that cleans the whole house and gets you ready for the day.
Water the cherry tree in the front yard.
Organize mom and dad’s shoes
Get all dirty clothes from upstairs and bring them down stairs. Sort into light and dark piles.
Take Sarge for a walk down the street and back.
Draw a picture to send to Maw Maw.
Look up this Bible verse and write it down on a piece of paper: Ephesians 6:1

I am asking the girls to keep me accountable for picking up my things too! So they are allowed to put my things in said Ransom Rubbage box as well! Yes, I'll be sure to post if in fact I end up doing jumping jacks one afternoon shouting, "I'm a cleaning machine!"
Overall, I hope it is fun AND effective at helping us stay on top of putting things away!



No comments:

Post a Comment